Thursday, June 20, 2019

MERCEDES CONTINUES TO RAISE THE BAR IN LUXURY WITH 2019 AMG S63 COUPE


If somebody ever would give me $200,000 with the stipulation that I had to spend it all on my next car, at least I know now where I would start.

I would head for the nearest Mercedes-Benz showroom and asked the first salesman to take me to the 2019 AMG S63 Coupe. I just might stop shopping there.

Though there is no such thing as a “perfect” automobile, a designation that likely would vary from person to person, the S63 Coupe comes as close as any with high marks in performance, appearance, technological features, comfort, and prestige.


Based on the Mercedes-Benz flagship S-Class Sedan, the S63 Coupe gets the same royal treatment when it comes to all the things that make a luxury car a super luxury vehicle.

It’s available in three versions — Mercedes-Benz S560 4MATIC and AMG S63, both 8-cylinder models, and the 12-cylinder behemoth AMG S65. This review is based on the AMG S63.

Its 4.0-liter biturbo registers 603 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque, representing advantages of 40 hp and 148 lb.-ft. over the S560. That gains it more than a second in zero-to-60 mph time (3.4 seconds to 4.5 for the S560) and actually is a half-second quicker than the 4.0 seconds Mercedes clockers report for the S65.


That engine drinks premium fuel at the rate of 17 miles-per-gallon city, 27 highway, which are better numbers than what you might expect. That is helped along by the deactivation of four of its eight cylinders the engagement of the CAMTRONIC valve-lift adjustment system (Google it if you’re interested) that reduces emissions as well under partial loads.

Believe me, you won’t notice any difference in throttle response.

Inside, the S63 Coupe is resplendent in luxury touches such as front seats with bolsters than hug (but not squeeze) your sides and gently engage to keep you from falling to one side when turning the vehicle.

The interior overflows with rich, soft leather. Dual zone climate control, a Burlmester surround sound system, and air balance cabin fragrance system are among the usual array of standard features in the luxury class.

Heated and ventilated seats, a head-up display, and Bluetooth connectivity are givens.

The 12.3-inch display at the top of the center stack provides views of what is behind, beside, or in front of you in high definition images. You select the view by using the knob on the center console to click on the desired setting exhibited on the screen.

The numerous safety features include as standard expected items like lane-keeping and blind-spot assist and parking assist and also active LED headlamps, Attention Assist, and the Advanced Air Bag Protection System.

All that and more are included in the base MSRP of $169,450 plus the $995 destination and delivery fee.

So what am I going to do for the rest of my $200,000 windfall?


I’ll start with interior upgrades such as the 567 Designo red/black Nappa leather interior and carbon fiber/black piano lacquer trim and continue on to the AMG ceramic braking system, the AMG wood/leather performance steering wheel, black DINAMICA headliner, Saravoski crystal headlight accents, and the night-view assist system first introduced on the S-Class sedan some years back.

Frankly, I can live without the Driver Assistance Package that includes Active Blind Spot Assist and Active Lane-Keeping Assist and, living in South Florida, I can do without the Warmth and Comfort Package.

But what the hell. They add only $4,440 to the cost, which is less than half the $8950 the ceramic brakes cost, and I’m still under the final tab of $198,145.

Now if I can only find someone who will give (not lend) me that $200,000 I’m all set.

What I liked about the 2019 AMG S63 Coupe: The power and performance is amazing. The interior is impeccable. It abounds in opulence.

What I didn’t like about the 2019 AMG S63 Coupe: What’s not to like about the S63 Coupe? Maybe one small nitpick. The Germans have been doing some tinkering with its COMAND system for the operation of infotainment functions like audio and navigation, and it’s not really any more user-friendly than its predecessor. But the panoramic view provided by rear cameras is spectacular.

Would I buy the 2019 AMG S63 Coupe? If I were a billionaire, yes, in a heartbeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment