Sunday, July 8, 2012

WITH AUDI, A 6 MATCHES AN 8

The Audi A6 was my drive last week. You can read my review at Examiner.com.

As I note in the writeup, the thing that puzzles me is why somebody would pay at least $20,000 more than the cost of the A6 just to get the A8.

Sure, the A8 is bigger, but the A6 is plenty roomy. I didn’t ride in the backseat, but I did sit in it to see how much legroom I had. I had plenty.

But then, the people who are shopping in the range of the A8, which starts at just under $80,000, probably don’t care about the extra money it costs.

Still, I also liked the lively drive the A6 3.0T delivers.

Here’s kind of an oddity, by the way. Though Audi uses a “T” designation, the 3.0 V6 engine is actually supercharged, not turbocharged.

Go figure.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THE A6: The performance. The A6 gets from zero-to-60 mph in under six seconds. I also found the ride comfortable.

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ABOUT THE A6: I’m getting more familiar with it, but Audi’s MMI (Multi Media Interface) system for performing many functions like the radio and car settings still can be a bit of a pain to fool with. I don’t know what it is the Germans. I guess since BMW loaded the iDrive system on us a few years back and Mercedes-Benz has its COMAND system, Audi felt it needed to have something as well. I find most of the controls in other luxury cars, specifically those from Asian, more intuitive to operate.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment